Day in history for November 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Hon. Thomas H. Benton delivered his copyrighted address before the Mercantile Library Assn. His topic was the state of the union, its condition and danger.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At a meeting of the Land League, Ald. Cary was appointed as a delegate to a league convention in Chicago.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The new Elite Theater will be opened about the middle of December.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Baseball Club served notice on the Valley League yesterday that it will not be among the starters next season. The club wanted definite action on their proposal to permit the use of players optioned by the major league clubs.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- David Junchen, 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Junchen of Sherrard, will be interviewed in New York City for a future appearance on the new CBS-TV Wednesday night series, Giant Step, carried locally at 6:30 on WHBF-TV, Rock Island.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A cloud of dust and a rumble of falling bricks marked the recent razing of one of Cordova's oldest homes. The two-story brick home at 3rd St. and 4th Ave., erected in the 1850s, was demolished last week by its owner, John Peterson of Cordova. The structure, once the home of the village's first mayor, Daniel Zimmerman, had been vacant for 3 1/2 years.
Back: Available days in November 2006