Day in history for November 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The voters of Rock Island County have decided to adopt township organization.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Tomorrow being Thanksgiving, business houses and county offices will be closed. Prisoners at the county jail will be given turkey dinner.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Mayer Levi entertained about 40 ladies at a six-handed euchre party yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Bear of Chicago was the guest of honor.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- About 100 persons attended the coon field trials, sponsored by members of the Rock Island Boat Club, yesterday near Andalusia.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Advance showings of new John Deere movies for the company's employees in the Quad-City area will be held in Wharton Fieldhouse in Moline during the first week of December. The movies, which run about two hours, are those which John Deere dealers throughout the United States and Canada will show to an estimated million and a half persons in farm communities in the coming months.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The familiar phrase of poor economic conditions has prompted a layoff of 1,050 employees at two Quad-City area Caterpillar Tractor Co. plants. About 900 of those affected work at the Davenport plant in Mount Joy, and the other 150 work at the Bettendorf Remanufacturing Plant in Riverdale.
Back: Available days in November 2006