Day in history for November 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- At a meeting of the city council last night, a bill in favor of the Rock Island Gas and Coke Co. for putting in street lamps was presented. The bill amounts to $3,000.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A heavy snowstorm is in progress.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The play, ''Forty Years of Freedom,'' will be given at Turner Hall next week for the benefit of the McKinley Baptist Church.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island Eagles Lodge No. 956 hopes to have a class of 50 candidates up for adoption Tuesday evening in honor of the coming of Judge J.C. Canty of Galveston, Texas, grand worthy president of the Eagles.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County students drank an average of 33.2 quarts of milk each in school milk programs during the year January, 1955, to January, 1956. The consumption applies to 28,766 students in the 34 schools, out of the county total of 46, participating in the milk program. The goal of the milk program is 45 quarts per student each year.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- President Ronald Reagan's tie clasp will be sold at the Winning Wheels Charity auction Saturday. Administrator Paul ''Doc'' Yackley said the clasp was received this morning at the center. Yackley said the tie clasp has Reagan's signature etched on it and shows the Presidential Seal.
Back: Available days in November 2006