Day in history for November 18, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The inimitable proprietors of that inimitable hotel, the Farnam House, will give a Thanksgiving Ball tomorrow evening. This affair will be a superb one.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- South Rock Island residents held a meeting of protest against the action of the board of health which located the pest house in that section.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Hickory Club, a Tri-City businessmen's organization, will give their annual dinner at Hotel Harms next Monday evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Monday and Tuesday five students at John Deere Junior High School were quarantined because of smallpox and today two more cases were reported by Dr. E.A. Edlen, Moline city physician. One case was reported at Garfield School.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Some changes in the grocery business over a span of 40 years are really apparent, expecially to William Bagatelas, owner of People's Market, East Moline, who is preparing to hang up his apron for the last time. He started in the grocery business in Moline in 1916 when canned goods were increasing in popularity.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Gifts to the St. Ambrose College Centennial Countdown program now exceed $3 million. A total of $3,040,411 has been pledged to the $6.8 million program, which is being used to fund a new physical education center.
Back: Available days in November 2006