Day in history for October 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- One of the area's largest fires on record broke out a few minutes after 6 Monday evening at the pail and tub factory of Dimock And Gould at the head of Rock Island, near Moline.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. J.S. McCord has been returned to the charge of the First Methodist Church. Members of the congregation last night presented him a silver water set.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Catherine McArdle, last surviving sister of the late Dean Thomas Macklin, died yesterday at the home of Mrs. Mary Crummie at Preemption.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Eight hundred Rock Island County teachers heard Dr. Thomas J. Kirby, professor of education and director of the university high school at the University of Iowa, discuss the future of education at the County Teacher's Institute in the Rock Island High School Auditorium.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Quick action on the part of several members of Memorial Christian Church, 15th St. and 3rd Ave., Rock Island, possibly saved the church from a major fire loss last night.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Lutheran Hospital officials have launched a feasibility study concerning what they term a ''major medical center'' to serve the Quad-Cities from Moline. Existence of the study apparently spawned rumors circulating that Lutheran might attempt to purchase Moline Public.
Back: Available days in October 2006