Day in history for October 7, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Chicago Congressional Herald proposes the removal of the national capital from Washington to Rock Island.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The stage of the water in the Mississippi was 13 feet above low water mark and a flood was feared.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The remodeling of St. Joseph's Church was being rapidly completed and Dean J.J. Quinn was preparing for a coming dedication.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Moline Board of Education voted to add a trade class to the course of studies at the Moline High School. Twenty boys over 16 years old will be selected from Rock Island, Moline and East Moline to attend.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A former Augustana College football star has become vice president and treasurer of Macy's of New York, reputedly the world's largest department store under one roof. He is Donald Burdette Smiley, 41, son of Mrs. Etta Smiley, 1111 Kirkwood Blvd., Davenport.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island High School students upset over parking rules have lost their appeal to Superintendent James Hopson. Hopson announced today he supported the high school administration rules preventing students from driving their cars during their lunch hour. Hopson, Rocky Principal John Murphy and about three students met last week to discuss the issue.
Back: Available days in October 2006