Day in history for October 5, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Democratic County Convention met on Saturday with delegations from all except the two extreme precincts. For sheriff, the delegation nominated Henry D. Cline. Joseph Conway was named to the circuit clerk position and Dr. Henry Fischel nominated as coroner.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Mississippi River is 12 feet over the low water mark and some are fearing that a flood is imminent.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Market Square is being decorated for the coming National Farmers' Congress Convention. It has been announced that William Payne will be chairman of the reception committee.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Ruth Looby of Milan, a teacher in Denkmann School, Rock Island, was elected president of the Rock Island County Christian Endeavor Union at the annual convention in the Milan Presbyterian Church yesterday.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The Ordnance Weapons Command at Rock Island Arsenal and the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland were sites today and yesterday for the unveiling of new weapons never before shown to the general public.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Aldersgate and Wesley United Methodist churches in Moline will not be merged. Members of Aldersgate voted 50 to 6 in favor of the merger, but members at Wesley Methodist voted 94 to 70 against the proposal.
Back: Available days in October 2006