Day in history for October 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Only 400 tickets were issued to the Empire Minstrels gift concert which is set for tonight at Empire Hall. The more than 30 prizes which are to be presented may be seen at Hakes and Riggs Jewelry Store. This company is the best that has been in this city for some time.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Frederick Warde in Romeo and Juliet was the attraction at Harper's Theater Saturday night. Miss Florence Elmore took the role of Juliet.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Frank Donnelly, former manager of the Rock Island Baseball Club, will be the new manager of the Peoria Club.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Preliminary plans for the annual Rock Island County Corn Husking Contest were made at the board of directors meeting in the Fort Armstrong Hotel. The contest will be held in the lower end of the county.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Moline Police motorcycles by the end of this week will be equipped with 2-way radios for the first time in the history of the department. The 2-way radios make for more efficient police operations, Chief Nelson pointed out.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Black Hawk East livestock judging team was defeated for the first time in the nine-year history of the Mid-Continent Livestock Exposition Saturday night by arch rival Hawkeye Institute of Technology from Waterloo.
Back: Available days in October 2006