Day in history for October 31, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Heavy rains last week have had an effect on the Mississippi River. The rise which is being experienced to the north will undoubtably reach us and enable larger boats to dock at our levee.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Maggie Mitchell in the ''Pearl of Savoy'' will be at the Harper Theater tomorrow night.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- J.F. Spencer has been elected president of the Rock Island Baseball Assn.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Thomas Murphy of Bowling Township was judged winner of the annual Rock Island County corn husking contest for the sixth consecutive year. He picked 27.2 bushels. Harry Vroman was second and Henry Vroman third.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Seymour P. Golden, Rock Island certified accountant, will conduct a series of five sessions on income tax forms beginning Nov. 20, under the sponsorship of the adult education division of the Rock Island Public Schools. The classes will be aimed at the individual in small business.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- For the second year in a row, Augustana College has received a Shell undergraduate grant of $10,000 from Shell Companies Foundation, Inc., Houston, Texas. The grants, established in 1980, provide funding to private colleges or universities with outstanding undergraduate programs in technical and business areas.
Back: Available days in October 2006