Day in history for October 29, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Professor Lee's Dancing Academy, which was scheduled to be held this evening at Empire Hall, has been postponed until next Monday evening. Young people will welcome this opportunity for evening amusement during the winter months.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Anthony and Ellis' ''Uncle Tom's Cabin'' is the attraction at Harper's Theater this afternoon and evening.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island High School football team defeated Sterling Saturday by a score of 28 to 0.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Hennepin Canal, closed since washouts of embankment in the vicinity of Wyanet and Tiskilwa, will be opened to traffic again Tuesday.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Earl H. Hall, Silvis, is the author of ''As Time Went By,'' a volume of 58 poems published by Comet Press Books, New York City. Hall, an electrician in the Silvis shops of the Rock Island Lines Railroad, has been termed ''the poet laureate of Silvis.'' He has lived in Silvis for 50 years.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center at Augustana College, opened Sept. 1 after a $500,000 gift from Birger and Lyal Swenson of Rock Island, houses more than 8,000 volumes, extensive personal papers of prominent Swedish immigrants and microfilms of church records and Swedish-American newspapers.
Back: Available days in October 2006