Day in history for October 26, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A blacksmith's shop in Moline was consumed by fire Thursday night. Firemen found it difficult to save a sash and chair factory and other buildings nearby.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At a meeting of the Rock Island Bible Society today, Nathan M. Brown was appointed to make a canvass of the county.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Members of Ucal Lodge No. 608, Odd Fellows and Eudora Rebecca Lodge No. 181 will hold a reception Nov. 1 in honor of the Rock Island Odd Fellows baseball team which won the trophy cup from the Moline club.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Permission for the removal of radio station WHBF to new quarters in the Harms Hotel, 100 18th St., Rock Island, has been received by the operator of the station from the federal radio commission.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Plans were announced today for a new $175,000 addition to Alleman High School, Rock Island. The addition will include eight classrooms, an attendance office and offices for the deans of girls and boys.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Hoffman School in East Moline was closed today after vandals broke in overnight and smashed windows, coated the hallways with foam from fire extinguishers, overturned desks and left a trail of blood. Principal William Hansen said the school's 310 sixth-grade students were sent home about 9 a.m.
Back: Available days in October 2006