Day in history for October 24, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Frank H. Smith, proprietor of the City Hotel, has made a number of changes in the appearance of his premises. In a three-story brick addition will be an eating saloon.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- General Hoffman left for St. Louis to attend a waterways convention.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The student body of Augustana College rebelled this morning and refused to attend classes as a result of action taken by the board of directors, who held that they had no authority to modify the decision of the synod regarding the playing of intercollegiate athletic contests and basketball.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The four Vroman brothers, Henry, Edward, Albert and Harry, all of Edgington Township, will pick corn in the annual husking contest of the Rock Island County Farm Bureau next Saturday at the P.L. Metzler farm in Rural Township.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A three-acre grass fire in Babcock Addition was the seventh fire in two weeks in the rural area surrounding Silvis. The fire started at 11:50 a.m. in the 10th Ave. section of Babcock when a housewife started to burn papers in an open incinerator.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The National Safety Council of the U.S. Department of Labor has awarded first place to Hammond-Henry District Hospital, Geneseo, in the 1980 Hospital Safety contest.
Back: Available days in October 2006