Day in history for October 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Rogers, LeClaire, Iowa, Mr. Marshall, Rock Island, and Mr. Cline, Rock Island candidate for sheriff, addressed the Democracy of Cordova on Saturday.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The following were named to a committee to apply for a charter for a county hospital: Drs. Truesdale, Plummer and Craig, the Rev. A.B. Allen and Alexander Steel.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Central Presbyterian Church has raised enough money to complete the payment of lots located at 14th Street and 10th Avenue, Rock Island, on which to erect a new church.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Bids for the vast project that will harness the Mississippi River at Rock Island with a roller gate dam and provide Davenport with a combined sea wall and intercepting sewer are to be opened in Rock Island Dec. 18.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Frank D. Torrey, Port Byron ''ham'' radio operator, enjoyed the ''thrill of a lifetime'' today when he talked to a member of Admiral Byrd's expeditionary crew in the Antartic.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Fifty-five prominent Quad-Citians are the subjects of a newly published book profiling local leaders. ''Profiles in Leadership: Dynamic Men and Women of the Quad-Cities'' was unveiled this morning at a press conference in Moline by publisher and editor Brad Baraks of Quest Publishing.
Back: Available days in October 2006