Day in history for October 12, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A map produced by Mudd And Hughes of St. Louis lists Rock Island County as the most densely populated county in this immediate area with a total population of 16,217. Mercer lists 9,660, Warren 12,209 and Henderson 7,128.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Mary Morton came down the river yesterday with one of the biggest cargoes that has passed this point for years. The cargo exceeded 1,400 tons with the prospect of increasing it before arrival in St. Louis.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Smith Specialty Co. will be the attraction at the Illinois Theater tomorrow night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Charles E. Katz, 330 E. 15th St., Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Civic Orchestra at the weekly rehearsal in the Peoples Light Auditorium, Davenport, yesterday afternoon.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Burglars stole $1 in cash and about 50 cents in stamps in burglaries at two Moline churches reported to police this morning. The money and stamps were taken from Moline Gospel Temple, 7th Ave. and 23rd St., but at First Methodist Church, 7th Ave. and 16th St., nothing was missing.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Richard M. Baker, Moline, received an Outstanding Performance Rating from the Rock Island District of the Army Corps of Engineers for his work on channel maintenance during the past year.
Back: Available days in October 2006