Day in history for October 10, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- George E. Biddison, foreman of the Rock Island Fire Co., expresses thanks to the ladies of Moline for the excellent refreshments provided for them at the Moline fire.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Dr. Truesdale of Rock Island will speak on ''Some Comments on the Medical and Surgical Treatment of the late President'' at a meeting of the Illinois and Island District Medical Assn.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Stockholders of the Rock Island Safety Co. elected the following as directors: L.S. McCabe, S.W. Collins, O.C. Cervin, D.J. Larkin, T.J. Medill, Hope Thompson and A.E. Montgomery.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Five molds to be used in the counterfeiting of half dollars were found yesterday afternoon on the Rock Island Lines right-of-way near Geneseo.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The October issue of ''National Guardsman'' features an Argus story on six members of the Rock Island guard unit. The six and their year of entry are Lt. Col. Robert Strupp, 1939; Maj. Don W. Schutte, 1939; Maj. Woodrow W. Acord, 1937; Capt. Kenneth W. Nelson, 1937; Capt. Richard L. Ray, 1940, and C.W.O. Henry W. Larson, 1930.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Burlington Northern Railroad crossing on Main Street in Tampico is being ''modernized.'' Burlington Northern workers are installing overhead flashing lights to replace the outdated signals.
Back: Available days in October 2006