Day in history for October 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- LeClaire Hall in Davenport was packed Tuesday night for the performance of ''Fazio.'' Miss Kate Dennin as Bianca fully sustained her high reputation as an eminent actress.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. A.B. Allen, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, served as chairman of a citizens meeting held at the courthouse to devise means of helping the sufferers from the recent forest fires in Michigan.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Johnny Wanner, second baseman of the Rock Island Baseball Club, has been drafted by the Portland, Ore., team.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Hysteria and excitement, which created a turbulent day in Quad-Cities banking history yesterday, had disappeared in Rock Island today and was dwindling in Davenport.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Two statues were pushed over and a rosary was stolen from one of them on the southwest corner of the Villa De Chantal, 2000 16th Ave., Rock Island. Some boys were seen on the premises shortly before the vandalism and theft occurred.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Bill and Debi VanLanduit believe they are the first people in the area to adopt a wild burro from Arizona. The Tampico couple recently received an animal under the ''Adopt-a-Burro or Horse'' program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Interior's Bureau of Land Management.
Back: Available days in October 2006