Day in history for September 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- On the occasion of the next grand Democratic gathering here we trust we may be favored with pleasant weather, when the ladies can come as well as the men.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles returned from Bloomington where they secured their share of the honors at the encampment.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Frank G. Welton, long time clerk of Henry County, died Saturday night at his home in Cambridge. He had held the same office continuously for 37 years.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Coronation of ''Miss Rock Island,'' who will receive a free trip to Bermuda as the winner of the merchants' popularity contest, will take place on 18th Street, between 2nd and 3rd avenues, during the Mardi Gras next Thursday evening.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Moline police today were still without any clues in the case of the missing $5,000 from Eagle Food Center, 1910 5th Ave., Friday afternoon. Police Sgt. Charlie E. Larson is heading the investigation.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Delegates to the United Nations from about 25 foreign countries will visit the Quad-Cities in October to meet local farmers, students and industry officials. Deere and Co., the Rock Island County Farm Bureau, Moline High School and local families where the delegates will live are hosting the four-day stay.
Back: Available days in September 2006