Day in history for September 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- While the German meeting was going on in the court house, rockets were discharged from the top or R. Graham's store, which were answered by the loud mouthed cannon and cheers of the crowd below.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Captain Durham of the steamer General Barnard was home for a short visit.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- ''Uncle Josh Spruceby'' will be the attraction at the Illinois Theater on Sept. 14.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Three additions to the faculty of Augustana Conservatory of Music will be noted by returning students. The new teachers are Sven Lekberg, head of the piano and theory department, Mrs. Regina Holmen Fryxell, head of the organ department and Ludwig Becker, violin instructor.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- In the first public critique of the Moline Foundation, established in 1953 for, among other purposes, benevolent acts, the assests have increased from the original $405,000 to $500,000, which places the local fund 25th among the 100 public trusts operating in the United States.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Moline Public Library officials have launched a drive to raise the last $200,000 needed to finance construction of a $1.1 million branch at 3130 41st St. The library has $400,000 and pledges of another $500,000 if more money can be raised.
Back: Available days in September 2006