Day in history for September 6, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The masonry for the three Peoria Railroad bridges across Rock River was completed about noon Thursday. The contractors, Messrs. Aaulpaw and Barnard, commenced the work in April.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The advance brigade for the Barnum London allied show arrived here today. The performance will take place here on Sept. 28.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Playing with matches resulted in the death of Ida Chrin, aged 7, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Z. Chrin.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- About 200 delegates arrived in Orion yesterday for the opening session of the Rock Island District Luther League Convention which will continue through today.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Maj. Gen. John L. Homer, Chicago, executive director of the Illinois Civil Defense Agency, will be the featured speaker at a joint meeting of the Rock Island Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs next Tuesday in the Fort Armstrong Hotel.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Robert Sonneville, general manager of the Playcrafters Barn Theater in Moline, thought he had found a way to stop vandals from stealing the letters from signs near the theater entrance at 50th St. and 35th Ave. He took a 36-by-32-inch chunk of 2-inch thick redwood and carved the theater's name into the wood. But that didn't stop the vandals. They took the whole sign.
Back: Available days in September 2006