Day in history for September 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We understand that in consequence of the civil war begun in Kansas for the abolition of slavery and price of all products of the southern states has greatly advanced and is increasing constantly. Sugar, molasses, rice, tobacco and cotton will soon double in price.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Timothy Dolly is a grandfather as a son and heir was born to Mrs. P.H. Riley, his daughter.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- W.C. Maucker has been chosen chairman of the Democratic County Central Committee and George W. Henry elected secretary. John Schafer, Port Byron, has been nominated for county treasurer and Frank A. Gustafson, Moline, for county clerk.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Idylle Brown, daughter of Mrs. Bessie Brown of Aledo, was chosen ''Miss Mercer County'' at the fair in Aledo this afternoon.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Four miles of hiking and horseback riding trails have been completed in Sunset Park, Rock Island, in preparation for the Sunset-O-Rama scheduled at the park Sept. 16.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The YWCA cafeteria, 1702 6th Ave., Moline, has closed because of a lack of business. The cafeteria, which opened March 16 under new ownership after having been closed for a year, could not draw enough customers to stay open. The cafeteria was managed by Joe Mullins.
Back: Available days in September 2006