Day in history for September 30, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The second quarterly meeting of the Rock Island County Medical Society will be held at Rock Island on the 8th day of October at 2 o'clock.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- G.H. Spencer, agent of the St. Louis And St. Paul Packet Co., was presented with a suit of clothes by Commodore Davison of the company as a token of appreciation.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The library board adopted a resolution thanking Miss Maude Mabie for the gift of a collection of 72 books.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island County Christian Endeavor Society will hold its convention in the Milan Presbyterian Church, Oct. 3.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- If the same ratio of mail stops to population holds true today as in 1950, Rock Island's population, which is now being counted in an official census, will be in excess of 57,000. Postmaster John J. McCarthy said postmen make 2,664 more stops to deliver mail in the city today than they did six years ago.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Auditors from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development began to go through Moline Housing Authority books Monday. MHA commissioners believe $250,000 in HUD money, earmarked for repairs at Springbrook Courts and Spring Valley Homes, apparently was used to pay other MHA bills and expenses, a violation of HUD guidelines.
Back: Available days in September 2006