Day in history for September 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Business in our city during the past week has been active, the streets being filled with wagons, grain and other products. Building is progressing in rapidity. Rock Island has a bright future ahead.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Judge Adams has issued naturalization papers to James Graham, a native born Englishman.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A party of young people surprised Miss Jessie Moore at her home last night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Earl H. Hanson, principal of the Rock Island High School, has been chosen as the speaker for the YWCA Business Girls' initial fellowship supper, Oct. 6.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- AllemaNews, Alleman High publication, has been awarded top honors by the National Scholastic Press and Catholic School Press Assn. for the 1955-56 school year. AllemaNews is a commercially printed school paper which comes out eight times during the school year.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A deer that jumped a fence at the John Deere Harvester Works in East Moline and led police and security guards on an hours-long chase Sunday night vanished this morning as abruptly as it came. Richard Raische, East Moline animal control officer, said he and officers from Rock Island County could not find the deer at the Harvester Works this morning.
Back: Available days in September 2006