Day in history for September 26, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The members of the Rock Island Library and Reading Room are scheduled to meet at Liberty Hall tomorrow night at 7 o'clock for election of officers and transaction of other business.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The late President Garfield was buried at Cleveland, Ohio, today. Business was suspended here and solemn memorial exercises held in the courthouse square. P.L. Cable presided and delivered a brief address.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Glen Thompson, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Thompson, Milan, sustained a fracture of the right leg as a result of a fall from a Watch Tower car recently.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The first frost of the season is expected tonight.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Paul Harvey, nationally known news commentator, will address the annual fall Rock Island County Teachers Institute in Rock Island on Oct. 11. Also included in the program will be Dr. Andrew Holt, vice president of the University of Tennessee. More than 1,300 active and in-active teachers of Rock Island County will attend.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Dan Lounsberry, financial director of Illini Hospital, has been named Illini's assistant administrator. Lounsberry, 36, came to Illini in May 1979. He worked in hospital administration at Lutheran Hospital in Moline from 1971 to 1977.
Back: Available days in September 2006