Day in history for September 24, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Messrs. Riley, Wright and Co. have bought out J.H. Kinney and intend to carry on all branches of the gas fitting business. They have a large stock of fixtures and doubtless will do a good business.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At a meeting in the courthouse last night, arrangements were made to hold memorial exercises for deceased President Garfield. A procession will make its way to the courthouse square where there will be devotional exercises.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Zinc bearing quartz has been found on several farms in Andalusia Township.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Albert F. Hyink, 1211 1/2 38th St., Rock Island, will direct the Business Girls' Club of the YWCA during the fall and winter, according to an announcement made today by Miss Carla Holtermann, Business Girls' secretary.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A new industry, which will prepare a frozen cookie product for national distribution, has begun operation in Rock Island. Dottie's Quickie Cookies are now being made at 529 41st St., formerly the site of Smith's Apple House.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island Optimist Club has cancelled its plans to sponsor the Holiday on Ice performances in December because the venture has become a money-losing one. The Optimist Club has been hosting it for over 30 years.
Back: Available days in September 2006