Day in history for September 24, 2006

1856 -- 150 years ago
Messrs. Riley, Wright and Co. have bought out J.H. Kinney and intend to carry on all branches of the gas fitting business. They have a large stock of fixtures and doubtless will do a good business.

1881 -- 125 years ago
At a meeting in the courthouse last night, arrangements were made to hold memorial exercises for deceased President Garfield. A procession will make its way to the courthouse square where there will be devotional exercises.

1906 -- 100 years ago
Zinc bearing quartz has been found on several farms in Andalusia Township.

1931 -- 75 years ago
Mrs. Albert F. Hyink, 1211 1/2 38th St., Rock Island, will direct the Business Girls' Club of the YWCA during the fall and winter, according to an announcement made today by Miss Carla Holtermann, Business Girls' secretary.

1956 -- 50 years ago
A new industry, which will prepare a frozen cookie product for national distribution, has begun operation in Rock Island. Dottie's Quickie Cookies are now being made at 529 41st St., formerly the site of Smith's Apple House.

1981 -- 25 years ago
The Rock Island Optimist Club has cancelled its plans to sponsor the Holiday on Ice performances in December because the venture has become a money-losing one. The Optimist Club has been hosting it for over 30 years.

Back: Available days in September 2006



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)