Day in history for September 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We are happy to inform our readers that this office received the highest premium awarded by the Rock Island County Agricultural Society for the best printing.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Next Monday has been set apart to honor the memory of the late President Garfield. Business will be suspended here. No issue of The Argus will be printed.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The price of milk has advanced to 7 cents a quart.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A parade of decorated floats, depicting the events in the growth of the Bishop Hill community during the last 85 years, gave a dash of color to the anniversary reunion.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A fire that started in a trash bin at the rear of the building caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the boiler room and parts room at County Motors, 2217 5th Ave., Moline, shortly after 5 yesterday afternoon. Irving Goldstein, owner of the agency, said his loss was partially covered by insurance.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The sale of The Plantation restaurant at 7th Street and Black Hawk Road in Moline has been approved by a Rock Island County Circuit Court judge. However, some details must be worked out before the nationally known restaurant becomes the property of three men who own the Governor's and J.K. Frisbees restaurants.
Back: Available days in September 2006