Day in history for September 21, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- John Stark has made arrangements to keep a pleasure garden for the accommodation of the citizens of Rock Island during the summer in the lower part of the city near Camden Road.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The people of Rock Island sorrowed greatly yesterday when the news came over the wire that President Garfield had expired on the night of Sept. 19. The tolling of bells here and in Davenport at 9 o'clock proclaimed the sad tidings.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- While calling on the Rev. J.F. Lockney yesterday to arrange for the burial of his wife, Jacob Betzel became ill and died this morning.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Organization of Black Hawk Vicinity Council, No. 7, United Spanish War Veterans was prefected at Galesburg when 300 representatives from local camps elected George H. Clapper, Rock Island, president and W.H. Wilcox, Rock Island, secretary-treasurer.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A fall housecleaning is slated for part of the interior of District Engineer headquarters at the Clock Tower Building. Bids were invited for the painting of the basement and washing of first floor.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The East Moline Municipal Pool in the United Township High School South Campus sprung a leak sometime last night and partially flooded the school's basement.
Back: Available days in September 2006