Day in history for September 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Democratic voters of the several precincts of Rock Island County are requested to meet at the usual place in each precinct for holding such meetings on Saturday, Sept. 27 to choose delegates to attend a county convention at the courthouse in Rock Island on Oct. 4.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Seth Dilley and Miss Flora B. Durling, also J.W. Cockrell and Matilda Hohmann have been licensed to wed.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Delegates to the state liquor dealers convention held in Galesburg have secured the next convention for Rock Island.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Lee H. Kaupke, 1831 22nd St., Rock Island, has been granted a patent this week on a 2-row horse drawn cultivator, the patent office in Washington, D.C., announced today.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Providing city approval is given a request for rezoning property between 9th and 11th streets and 36th and 37th avenues, Rock Island, a 20-lane bowling alley will be erected on the tract.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Tom Schreiber is a one-man show over at Alcoa's Davenport Works. A one-man show that could save the plant millions of dollars in years to come. Schreiber's title is energy coordinator. His job is to find ways to cut the plant's energy use and see that the measures are implemented.
Back: Available days in September 2006