Day in history for September 2, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Sam Myers, late of the Chicago Theatre, informs us that he has fitted up LeClaire Hall in Davenport and will open tomorrow with a talented corps of actors in the play ''Uncle Tom's Cabin.''
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Harry Abell of Rock Island received his commission as a second lieutenant in Company D, 14th battalion.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Argus received word that its new $10,000 double deck Duplex press was being shipped here from Battle Creek, Mich.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Paul A. Dahlen, 1534 29 1/2 St., Rock Island, recently elected director of the Rock Island YMCA, has been appointed chairman of the annual membership drive.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Gordon Roth of the Red Dot Potato Chip Co., 1223 5th Ave., Rock Island, told Rock Island police this morning that thieves who took a large quantity of unsaleable cheese popcorn last night should think twice before eating it. Roth warned that eating the substandard popcorn could make the eaters very sick.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Moline police are launching a new phase in their war against crime and they're counting on the press, businessmen and tipsters to join their ranks. Police Chief Thomas Smaha told the city council about plans under way since last December to start a Crime Stoppers program in Moline.
Back: Available days in September 2006