Day in history for September 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The great Democratic rally at Springfield came off yesterday with much enthusiasm. It is said to be the largest meeting of the kind ever held in Springfield.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Ben Huntley, a workman at the lower saw mill, had his fingers cut off this morning while manipulating some machinery.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Tom Fitzgibbons of Canoe Creek died at Denver, Colo., yesterday, aged 30 years. His mother and widow survive him.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Unless all political signs fail, Mayor Chester Thompson of Rock Island will be a candidate for the Democratic nomination for congress from the 16th district next April with prospects of strong organization support.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A million dollar remodeling and improvement project, which will include a new color press, was launched today at The Argus, 1724 4th Ave., Rock Island. Ben H. Potter, editor and co-publisher of The Argus, said completion of the project is scheduled for next summer.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Sunday afternoon the bears at Niabi Zoo, Coal Valley, will leave their cramped cages forever and enter a new enclosure with swimming pool and spraying water. Brenda, 2, and Bruno, 3, black bears at the zoo, will enter the new enclosure after a 2 p.m. ribbon cutting ceremony.
Back: Available days in September 2006