Day in history for September 17, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Remember that our county fair commences tomorrow and all who have any interest in its success should take hold and help the officers on with their work.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Albert Wells of Hampton was in town today shaking hands with his friends.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A reception for Harry Franks, new physical director of the YMCA, will be held Friday night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- An all-time record for low stage of the Mississippi River at the Rock Island Bridge was created today when the reading was .1 foot below the low water level of zero, established in 1864.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A Silvis woman employed as a card punch operator at Rock Island Arsenal received a $100 award this morning for ''superior performance in her assigned duties.'' Mrs. Neva B. Sanders, 1816 6th Ave., Silvis Heights, has exceeded by approximately 40 percent the average production rate of 14 other operators who perform the same type of work.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Deere And Co. today unveiled a line of tractors which includes the company's first to be powered by a V-8 engine. The new V-8 model, now the company's most powerful tractor, opens the door to eventual production of large-horsepower tractors, a move one market analyst says comes a step ahead of similar plans by Caterpillar.
Back: Available days in September 2006