Day in history for September 14, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The young men of the city of Rock Island are invited to attend at the First Presbyterian Church tonight at 8 o'clock for the purpose of adopting a constitution for and organizing a Young Men's Christian Assn.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island County Sunday School Assn. convened at Cordova yesterday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- A big Modern Woodmen of America picnic will be held in Long View Park tomorrow.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Three young bandits held up Frank Minor, proprietor of the Shale City General Store, locked the man in a refrigerator and escaped with $43 yesterday morning.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The first educated pigeon in the world may receive its diploma from Edgington School. ''Pigie'' flies two miles back and forth to school almost every day to be with its master, James Mueller, 12-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Stewart H. Mueller, who live on a farm about a mile north of Edgington.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Inspiration to the younger members of the order will be the primary goal of Sister Mary Anthony, named Saturday as mother superior of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, Rock Island. Sister Anthony, 44, a native of Pennsylvania, for two years has been administrator at St. Anthony's Continuing Care Center.
Back: Available days in September 2006