Day in history for September 10, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Monday evening information was obtained that persons in jail here, a considerable number, intended to break out that night and escape.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Capt. J.G. Wall, Muscatine diver, is engaged in laying the inlet pipe of the new waterworks system.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Mary T. Brennan was hostess at a party given in honor of Miss Alice B. Kane, who is to be married this month. Twenty-four guests played hearts at the affair, a surprise on Miss Kane.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Mayor Chester Thompson said today the Rock Island Council of Girl Scouts has been given permission to occupy quarters on the second floor of the south wing of the Rock Island City Hall.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- In this issue of The Argus, you are reading news and feature stories that have been set in the newspaper's new Corona type face. Corona, a product of the Mergenthaler Linotype Co., was designed to answer the growing demand for a clean, easy-to-read type which would print clearly under high press speeds.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Between 1,500 and 2,000 International Harvester white collar employees will be dismissed as the company implements its corporate restructuring. IH spokesman Bill Colwell said the firings will occur between now and Oct. 31.
Back: Available days in September 2006