Day in history for September 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- All those who want small flags for decorating their teams on Sept. 6 for the Democratic Rally can now get them at The Argus office. Price, 20 cents each, or six for a dollar.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The party at the home of J.H. Adler of the firm of Kohn and Adler, in honor of the double betrothel of Louis Kohn and Miss Rena Mosenfelder and Isaac Rosenfield and Miss Lizzie Adler, was one of the social events of the season.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- ''The Minister's Son'' will open the season at the Illinois Theater tomorrow night.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Ruth L. Pearson, now dean of women at Augustana College, and the Rev. Conrad Bergendoff, new dean of the theological seminary, have arrived in Rock Island in preparation for the opening of school, Sept. 8.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County officials plan a court fight to shut down the Tri-City Rendering Works, near Coal Valley, which they blame for water pollution that has killed fish in Rock River.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The lure of travel and an interest in history and politics has drawn Helen Johnson, Moline, a retired teacher, to adventures in 56 countries. Most interesting to her are the observations and insights she has gained into different cultures, things not mentioned in tour booklets.
Back: Available days in September 2006