Day in history for August 31, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A special meeting of the city council was held Aug. 29. It was ordered that a committee be appointed to correct plans and specifications for the engine house as recommended by the board, publish said specifications and advertise for proposals.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Diamond Jo Reynolds spent the night here several days ago, leaving yesterday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Word has been received here of the death of the Rev. C.G. Booth, president elder of this district of the A.M.E. Church. He died in Indianapolis, Ind.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Its long, white sides and yellow stacks presenting a pretty picture against the darker background of the shores, the giant tow boat Herbert Hoover moved down the Mississippi River past Rock Island yesterday on the second lap of its maiden trip from Dubuque to St. Louis.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The Davenport Coliseum ballroom is undergoing a complete redecoration, and the new management plans to open the ballroom the second week in September. The entire wall surrounding the stage has been redecorated in a Swedish modern design by Gunnar Dahlstrom, St. Paul artist.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-City Arts Council-Visiting Artist Series 1981-82 Arts Appeal fund drive has raised a total of $50,294 in pledges and contributions.
Back: Available days in August 2006