Day in history for August 3, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Sylvester Allen, contractor for grading the Peoria Railroad, has completed the work to Rock River and is ready for the ties and rails.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- W.F. Cody, ''Buffalo Bill,'' arrived here last night. He told an Argus reporter that he was on his way to make some sort of arrangement with Sitting Bull. He expects the Chief to join his show.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Misses Grace and Florence Hall have returned from Dubuque where they visited friends.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Firemen from three cities waged a winning fight against a $10,500 blaze which threatened the business section of Cambridge yesterday.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Lloyd Nelson and L.M. Mosher of the Dye and Crampton Co., Aledo, were placing stake lines and digging trenches for the foundation of a new storage plant for the McKee Seed Co. of New Boston when they came upon a considerable sum in gold and silver coins.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The ABC network has expressed interest in filming a segment on its weekly show ''20/20'' about the town where Ronald Reagan was born and spent the first nine years of his life. Hugh Downs will visit Tampico later in August to appear in the segment. Downs has close ties to Tampico. His wife, the former Ruth Shaheen, was born and reared there.
Back: Available days in August 2006