Day in history for August 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Buchanan Club will meet tonight at their headquarters in Charles Buford's block. It is hoped that all friends of Buchanan will make a point of attending the regular meetings.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Gilpin Moore is about to construct a $3,500 home on the avenue.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Old Settlers Assn. will meet at the Watch Tower next Thursday the occasion being the 41st annual reunion. Fernando Jones will deliver the principal address.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Burglars obtained a large quantity of foodstuffs from the refrigerator at Schuab's Restaurant, 1810 3rd Ave., Rock Island, last night, but in making a hurried departure left a 5-gallon container of ice cream standing on a gas range near the back door of the building.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The object of a seven-month search for a bust of P.L. Cable, missing from an alcove at Cable Hall, Augustana College, ended successfully today. Frank Neels, Route 1, Moline, noticed what he thought was the head of a man in the water as he fished in the Rock River near Black Hawk State Park.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- John Keane of Moline and Carter LeBeau of Davenport are back after completing a 58-day, 3,200-mile bicycle trip across the United States. They started in Newport, Ore., and ended in Washington, D.C.
Back: Available days in August 2006