Day in history for August 21, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- John C. Smith, known in New Jersey as ''Little Johnny,'' has opened an auction store in this city on Eagle St., under the Rock Island House.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Samuel and Benjamin Block, sons of the late Aaron Block, one of the old settlers of Rock Island, are here on a visit. Aaron Block died in 1869. He opened the first clothing store here and Jonas Bear was at one time his clerk.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Invitations have been issued to the wedding of Miss Gertrude Ruick, Davenport, and George C. Long, Rock Island, the ceremony to take place Sept. 12 in St. Joseph's Church.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A crowd of almost 800 persons visited Denkmann Square last evening to attend the annual community night program held under the auspices of the playground directors.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- An eastbound Rock Island Railroad streamliner was derailed in Durant early today and then hit by a westbound local mail and express train. Durant is 20 miles west of Davenport.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A series of new postage stamps bearing the legend: ''Alcoholism, you cant beat it!'' went on sale Thursday at the Moline Post Office. There to buy the first stamps were Lois Uhlig, of the Riverside Retreat, Rock Island, and Dave Schare of the Rock Island County Council on Alcoholism.
Back: Available days in August 2006