Day in history for August 20, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A meeting of the executive committee of the Rock Island Agricultural Society will be held at the courthouse on Wed., Sept. 3. As there is a large amount of business to be done, it is necessary that every member should be present.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Burglars raided Peter Kain's home near Port Byron Thursday night but were scared off before they secured any plunder.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The County Bar Assn. appointed a committee this morning to arrange for a memorial to the late Col. E.J. Searle. E.D. Sweeney, William Jackson and Maj. H.C. Connelly will draft suitable resolutions.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island County was given exceptional recognition when County Clerk C.N. Isaacson was elected president of the Illinois Assn. of County Officers and Probate Clerk Elmer L. Ransom made secretary of the Probate Clerk's Assn.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A man identified by Rock Island Arsenal officials as Vincent O'Ginnis, about 63, was rescued shortly after noon from the Mississippi River before he was sucked into the roller dam at the Rock Island Locks.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island Mayor Jim Davis said Tuesday the Valley Homes housing project is so overcrowded and in such poor condition that the city may have no choice except to demolish all or part of the 100-unit complex.
Back: Available days in August 2006