Day in history for August 2, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- About 11 p.m. last night a fire broke out in a small building next to Capt. Cook's lumber yard.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Rev. J.C. Holliday was elected president of the Rock Island Bible Society.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Bertha Hodges, formerly of Rock Island, granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Hodges, will be married in Chicago tonight to James W. Edenburn.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- A large crowd is expected at the annual picnic of the Rock Island Boat Club. Highlighting the program will be an aquatic exhibition by Walter Freeman, former Rock Island swimming star, who held a record for swimming the Mississippi River between Davenport and Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Moline police were ready for the worst about 3 this morning when they got an urgent telephone message from a woman living near the edge of the Highland area. She reported a ''big fight'' going on in the alley. Officers Les Misfeldt and Jerry Peterson reported a few minutes later: ''We broke it up and sent them on their way, it was a couple of cats.''
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Tony and Joe Chinn, 3495 27th Ave., Moline, have one of the largest beer can collections in the Quad-Cities. Together, they have nearly 6,000 beer cans. Both have permanent collections and collections used for trading.
Back: Available days in August 2006