Day in history for August 19, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Sumner, of the Rock Island Institute, will open a class in single- and double-entry bookkeeping on Tuesday evening at half past six o'clock.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- P.L. Teeple of Mansfield, Ohio, one of the leading officers of the American Legion of Honor, was here for the purpose of organizing a council of the order in Rock Island.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Labor Congress accepted an invitation from the Rev. W.S. Marquis to attend services at the Broadway Presbyterian Church on Sept. 2, the Sunday prior to Labor Day.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Arthur C. Graham of Rock Island and Franklin Johnson of Moline will play for the golf championship of the Short Hills Country Club, East Moline, in a 36-hole match Saturday.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A new concept of radio programming has been announced for WQUA, Moline, by G. LaVerne Flambo, owner of the station. In the future, the station will feature more music, mostly high fidelity recordings of good caliber.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The opening today of the new Illinois 84 bridge between Green Rock and Carbon Cliff will provide a sigh of relief to motorists who cross the Rock River. Traffic began moving from the narrow 65-year-old bridge onto two of the four lanes of the new $6.86 million bridge at 11 this morning.
Back: Available days in August 2006