Day in history for August 18, 2006

1856 -- 150 years ago
We have seen some very fine catfish, forty or fifty pounds, caught in the river.

1881 -- 125 years ago
The reunion of the 112th Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, at Cambridge yesterday was largely attended. The address of welcome was by Col. A.R. Mock.

1906 -- 100 years ago
The Misses Maureen and Regenia Blake have returned from Minnesota where they spent five weeks.

1931 -- 75 years ago
Residents of the lower end of Rock Island County and a delegation representing the Retail Bureau of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce joined in a happy get together event last evening at the Pine Bluff Methodist Church, west of Illinois City on Highway 84.

1956 -- 50 years ago
A recent Department of the Army directive sent to all Army commands in the Quad-City area directs that as a part of the long-range change in military uniform, the switch from the traditional russet or brown low-quarter shoes with socks to match will be abolished, starting Sept 1, in favor of black shoes and socks.

1981 -- 25 years ago
Purchase of a group of three weekly newspapers in the West Los Angeles area was announced today by Jean Alice Small, president of the Small Newspaper Group. The publications, the Pacific Palisades Post, Brentwood Post and North Shore Mail, have a combined circulation of 27,000.

Back: Available days in August 2006

Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.

(More History)