Day in history for August 16, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A talented lady, Mrs. Macready, proposes to give a course in poetic and dramatic readings to our citizens in a few days.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At the meeting of Rock Island Encampment of Odd Fellows last night, J.C. Smith, grand scribe of Illinois, and other notables were present.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Hannah Danielson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. Danielson, was married to Charles A. Carlson of Warner, Ill., at the parsonage of the Swedish Lutheran Church, Moline.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Five thousand employees of the Silvis shops of the Rock Island Lines and their families attended one of the most successful and enjoyable picnics ever sponsored by the Rock Island Mechanical and Power Plant Employees Assn. at Weed Park, Muscatine, this afternoon.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A former resident of Rock Island is now a top-notch skater in the chorus line of L.N. Fleckles' ''Ice Varieties of 1956,'' currently appearing nightly at the Mississippi Valley Fair And Exposition. She is talented Carol Strandt. She was graduated from Rock Island High School in 1953.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The metal the family welds together, stays together, say Shane and Lorry Sullivan of Green Rock. The couple recently became the first husband-and-wife team to complete a summer welding program at Black Hawk College East in Kewanee.
Back: Available days in August 2006