Day in history for August 15, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- All persons who feel disposed to aid in the organization of an efficient fire company are requested to meet at the courthouse on Friday, August 17, at 8 o'clock.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A meeting of citizens will be held tomorrow afternoon to discuss ways and means of establishing a hospital.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Street car employees participated in an excursion on the steamer ''J.S.'' this evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Lantern Parade held last evening in Long View Park tooks its place as one of the largest projects sponsored by the Rock Island Playground and Recreation Commission this year when 437 children carried lighted lanterns through the winding roadways of the park.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- That vacant lot on 19th St., Moline, for years popularly referred to as the ''Consumer's property,'' which provided the best sledding in town and was suggested for use as a new high school site early in 1953, came into the news again, this time as the site for a proposed public park.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The 256-acre Giant Goose Reserve, a mile east of Atkinson on U.S. 6, is 15 years old and shelters deer, ducks, raccoon and quail as well as the ''giant'' Canada Goose. The Izaak Walton League now owns the reserve and is trying to pay a $60,000 debt it accumulated in buying it.
Back: Available days in August 2006