Day in history for August 13, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that on Monday night the house of James Hollencamp, who resides on Rock River, was entered by some unknown person or persons and $23 was taken.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Ezra Beardsley, father of J.M. Beardsley, left for his home in Henry County today after a visit here. He is 86 years old, but is hale and hearty.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Charles E. Kyte died at his home south of Milan Saturday. He was born in Sullivan County, New York, in 1839 and came west in 1848.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Improvements estimated to cost $30,000 will be made in converting the building at 2016 3rd Ave., Rock Island, into one of the most modern and best equipped bowling alleys in this section of the middle west.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A fire touched off by lightning yesterday afternoon at a farm near Coal Valley resulted in damages estimated at $8,000 to a relatively new barn, its contents, and a silo. It is familiarly known as the Ristau farm.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- A dumpster fire spread to a motorcycle warehouse owned by Taber Cycle Sales, 1320 Blackhawk Road, early this morning, destroying the warehouse and the 50 motorcycles stored inside. Moline firefighters, responding to the 2:55 a.m. alarm, kept the flames from spreading to Taber's sales and service building.
Back: Available days in August 2006