Day in history for July 5, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Glorious Fourth was celebrated in a becoming manner on board the fine steamboat J. McKee at our levee. The merry voice of the ladies, the happy faces of the men and the brisk popping of champagne contributed largely to swell the patriotism of the audience.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- At the Christian chapel today, the Rev. Irwin A. Searle preached on ''Our Murdered President.'' He attended Hiram College with President Garfield, who was shot by an assassin day before yesterday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Otto Huber and sister, Miss Amelia, left for Europe.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Harms Hotel in Rock Island was sold at auction this morning by James F. Murphy, master-in-chancery of the Rock Island County Circuit Court, in connection with the foreclosure action of Frank P. Welch, Rock Island.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Dick Rickson, 832 23rd St., Rock Island, wrote the words and melody of ''On Christmas Day,'' accepted for publication by Tin Pan Alley Company of New York City.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- John Neil Reagan paid a visit Friday to the place where he and his well-known younger brother, Ronald, were born. ''Moon '' Reagan is in the area to attend the 55-year anniversary reunion of the Dixon High School Class of 1926.
Back: Available days in July 2006