Day in history for July 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday afternoon a horse from a livery stable was driven into the river in order to wash the buggy to which he was attached. Getting restive he plunged in beyond his depth and drowned.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- H.J. Chesser and family, Monmouth, were stopping at the Harper House.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Two hundred Sunday School workers were attending the Wood River Sunday School Convention here.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The public celebration at the Rock Island Public Schools Stadium tonight will be patterned after ''ye old time observance'' of the Fourth of July, starting at 6 and concluding with a brilliant 75-minute display of fireworks.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Processing of dog food in the new plant completed by Ralston Purina Co., adjacent to other Purina facilities at Pine and Faxon Streets, Davenport, will begin next week. The product will be called New Purina Dog Chow and will be distributed all over the United States.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- One year ago, the last traveler crossed the old Lyndon Bridge. Weeds and grass now cover sections of the road that once were worn down by the cars, trucks and tractors that depended on the century-old span for passage over the Rock River.
Back: Available days in July 2006