Day in history for July 28, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We notice that the trestle work on which will be raised the last span of the great railroad bridge is being placed in the river, preparatory to raising that structure. The work is framed and lies on the track on the island. The present low stage of water is a favorable time to raise it.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- A movement is on foot to improve the Watch Tower and to erect a hotel.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The boys of the 6th regiment arrived home from Camp Lincoln this morning. Company K of Kewanee won the regimental meet by but one point.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The fall finance drive of the Rock Island Visiting Nurse Assn. will begin the week of Oct. 9, according to plans made at a special board meeting yesterday at the offices of the association.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The 37th annual ''Big Hike'' of the Black Hawk Hiking Club will start Thursday at 5 a.m. from the Hauberg home, Rock Island. Charles Pierce, club president, will be leader.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Tombstones stacked along the road at the East Moline Correctional Center soon will be placed back in the cemetery from which they were removed. Center inmates are landscaping the cemetery, where nearly 400 persons who died while residents of the former East Moline Mental Health Center are buried.
Back: Available days in July 2006