Day in history for July 27, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Information is wanted of Patrick Grant, formerly from Downe, Ross Straver, Ireland. He is about 28 years of age and rather above medium size. He has two sisters in this city who are anxious to learn where he is. A letter addressed to the Rock Island Argus will reach him.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Doubt is being expressed as to the condition of President Garfield because of the secrecy of the surgeons.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Members of the Chicago Press Club will be guests of the Tri-City Press Club tomorrow. Several social events are planned as the guests will remain over Sunday.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Frederick J. Rolf, pastor of the Evangelical Church of Peace since 1908, has decided to reject the call of the pastorate of the Salem Evangelical Church, Quincy, Ill.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Thirty-six Hereford heifers who saw ''greener grass'' caused quite a stir at the Indian Bluff Forest Preserve and golf course yesterday. The cattle broke out of their pasture on the John Layer Jr. farm. A 12-hour roundup followed.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. James O. Jensen, president of the Jensen Institute of Management Inc., Rock Island, has been named associate professor of economics and business administration at St. Ambrose College.
Back: Available days in July 2006