Day in history for July 23, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A large and enthusiastic Democratic meeting was held in the grove near Geneseo yesterday and was addressed by Col. Hamilton, candidate for lieutenant governor.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Argus carried a first page store announcing that the condition of President Garfield had apparently taken a serious turn.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Club and the Retail Merchants Assn. named a committee of T.J. Medill, Charles McHugh, I.S. White and H.E. Casteel to boom the town.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- On the home stretch of a 22-day flight through 18 states with stops at 33 cities, 20 airplanes carrying some of the nation's most famous fliers on the seventh annual national reliability air-tour landed at the Davenport Airport this afternoon.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The last two of the seven newly-appointed Moline firemen reported for duty this morning and have been temporarily assigned to Central Fire Station. They are Warren Hanks, 25, of 431 50th St., and Robert W. Johnson, 27, of 3222 11th Ave. C.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Two Moline teenagers, a boy and a girl, were being held on a variety of charges after about 100 auto windows were shattered during a vandalism spree in Moline and East Moline early today.
Back: Available days in July 2006