Day in history for July 21, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Public spirited citizens are making efforts to establish a system of union or graded schools here that shall be worth extensive patronage, and where the children of the city, rich and poor, shall be thoroughly educated, free of charge.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Capt. Robert Melville of Davenport, who had many friends here, died at an early hour today. He was one of the oldest river men in this section of Illinois.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Hallie Allen McCrory, of Rock Island, was soloist at the concert given by Peterson's Band at the Watch Tower last evening.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Kanawha-Mississippi Coal Co., owner of extensive coal fields in West Virginia, is seeking a Quad-City location for coal docks preparatory to starting next year's shipping of coal by private barge down the Ohio and up the Mississippi.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Two East Moline men who picked the middle of the intersection at 4th Ave. and 13th St., Moline, to park their car and catch a few winks about 2:45 this morning were fined later in Moline Magistrate's Court.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- This morning, 10 red taxis of the Happy Cab Co. hit the Quad-City streets in search of fares. Happy Cabs is licensed in both Moline and Davenport and is owned by Hunt Transportation, based in Omaha, Neb.
Back: Available days in July 2006